Thursday, July 4, 2013

Poison ivy

Our yard has English ivy growing on the trees which will kill the trees if it stays there, so I have been trying to pull it off the trees and also out from around them so that it won't grow back up them so easily. I had checked it to make sure there was no poison ivy, but apparently not well enough. One day we went out and I pulled ivy while the kids played. A few days later I broke out in an itchy rash and when I got pictures and checked I found I was working close to some poison ivy. Luckily none of the kids seem to have any. But I have been super itchy and rashy for a little over two weeks now! I never realized how miserable and long lasting poison ivy is. It is on my arms and legs and my side. I thought I was getting better but it has been pouring rain the last few days and it gets worse in the rain! I am all swollen and red and blistery all over again.

Some things I have found that help are; calamine lotion, baking soda paste, Benedryl, cold wet wash cloths, or ice packs, and since it is hard to keep those things on while taking care of Andrew I have mostly been wearing Matt's yellow spandex running shirt under my shirts because if I don't run it on things than it is easier to leave it alone and forget about it!







2 comments:

  1. Ugh that looks awful!! Itchiness is the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! So sorry! I got some on my hands the first year we were here (in KY) and it was horrible. I used coconut oil and some essential oils to help. I didn't hear about some jewelweed cream that is supposed to works wonders, but thankfully haven't been able to test it out. I hope it clears up soon!

    ReplyDelete